6 Cloud Hosting Terms You Should Know
January 31st, 2013 By:Tavis J. Hampton
Cloud computing is not longer a new technology, but it is rapidly growing and developing. As you delve into the cloud, it might be a good idea to learn some of the important terms you may encounter. The following 6 terms are frequently used and ones you should definitely know.
1. Cloud Backup – This can mean a few things: local (on-premise) data backed up to the cloud, syncing of on-premise and cloud data, or cloud data backed up to a separate remote cloud
2. Multi-tenant – A cloud used by multiple customers rather than a single user, as opposed to a private cloud
3. Private cloud – A cloud used by a single company or user; this is usually managed locally but in some cases, a cloud provider may manage the private cloud.
4. SLA – A service-level agreement (SLA) is a contract between the cloud provider and the customer that guarantees a certain amount of uptime and service. Usually if the provider cannot meet the agreed amount within a month, it will offer some form of credit to the customer.
5. Cloud Storage – Any type of short-term or long-term storage that is cloud-based. This may be used for backup, content delivery, or even big data.
6. Cloud Apps – These are applications that run from the cloud and are typically accessed over the Internet using a web browser. These apps may be public, accessed by multiple users, or private, developed and/or used by a single user or organization.
Cloud hosting is something many individuals and companies will likely encounter at some point. It is good to know all of the terms cloud providers will throw at you. Hopefully, this brief guide will shed a little light on the subject.
|Caronet Managed Hosting Services - Engineered for YOUR business|
* Your True Managed Services Provider - Cloud, Colo, Dedicated Solutions
* Multiple Levels of Support to Ensure You Pay for Only What You Need
* Focus More on Revenue Generating Activities and Applications
* Technical Engineers are on call and available for 24 x 7 x 365 Support
* Named to 2015 Managed Service Provider 500 List by CRN