(The Hosting News) – Apple has been using Intel chips in its Mac computers since 2006. However, if a new report serves as any indication, the company’s relationship with Intel could eventually be severed.
According to Bloomberg, the Cupertino, California-based company is exploring using other chips in future computer products. The popular iPhone maker could replace Intel with different versions of ARM-based processors currently used in mobile devices including the iPad and its smartphone.
So when could the move be made? Not for a while. The same report noted it was unlikely to take affect for another few years.
Gartner analyst Sergis Mushell, meanwhile, called Apple a “trendsetter,” noting that if it went ahead with creating its own chips, additional companies could follow suit.
“If mobility is more important than functionality, then we will have a completely different environment than we are dealing with today,” Mushell stated in Bloomberg’s report.
Before 2005, Apple used chips made by IBM. “Our goal is to provide our customers with the best personal computers in the world, and looking ahead Intel has the strongest processor roadmap by far,” stated the late Steve Jobs when announcing its move to Intel in June of that year.
A possible shift away from Intel could provide a blow for the popular chip maker which has increasingly relied on Apple for a considerable portion of its success in recent years.
|100% Anonymous Web Hosting: From Shared Hosting to Dedicated Servers, Domains to DDOS Protection|
* Anonymous and Private hosting and domain registration
* Performance-driven hosting with SSD storage
* 99.9% Uptime Guarantee / 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
* Choose the location of your VPS or dedicated server!
* Sign up with only an email! No personal details needed!
- Computer Chips with Brain Power? IBM Reveals Cognitive Technology
- Java-related Malware Hits Apple Inc.
- Apple Installing Solar for Reno Data Center
- Patent War Calms Down: Apple & HTC Call Truce
- Apple Invests in Indoor Mapping with WifiSLAM Buy