Basic cPanel Security Tools
March 12th, 2013 By:Tavis J. Hampton
There is no all-in-one solution for website security, but some hosting automation systems can help make certain security features easier to manage and implement. cPanel offers a number of security tools, including the following:
- Password Protect Directories – If you have directories on your site that should only be accessed by certain users, you can implement password protection here. This tool relies on the technology already present in your web server to password protection directories.
- IP Deny Manager – Any users or hosts that should not have access to your website can be blocked with this tool. You may enter an IP address, domain name, or range of IP addresses to prevent them from gaining access. Use this with caution, keeping in mind that some users have dynamic IP addresses and that hosts can change owners at any time.
- HotLink Proteciton – While you may expect users to access a certain page on your website, you might not want the user directly linking to individual files, especially media. HotLink Protection can prevent them from linking to unauthorized files.
- Leech Protect – For password-protected areas of your site, you may allow a number of users to access it. If those users give out their login credentials to others, this is called leeching. This is especially problematic for paid sites. Leech Protect will limit the number of logins within a specified time and redirect or even suspend compromised accounts.
For more information about any of the above security tools and a complete list of security tools available in cPanel, see the online documentation.
|Increase Hosting Revenues. Partner with HeatSync Competitive Analytics.|
* Earn over $75 for each new customer
* Deliver more value to your customers
* Easy installation takes just 30 seconds
* Just sit back as your commissions roll in
* Risk-free trial means you have nothing to lose!