Basic cPanel Security Tools
March 12th, 2013 By:Tavis J. Hampton
There is no all-in-one solution for website security, but some hosting automation systems can help make certain security features easier to manage and implement. cPanel offers a number of security tools, including the following:
- Password Protect Directories – If you have directories on your site that should only be accessed by certain users, you can implement password protection here. This tool relies on the technology already present in your web server to password protection directories.
- IP Deny Manager – Any users or hosts that should not have access to your website can be blocked with this tool. You may enter an IP address, domain name, or range of IP addresses to prevent them from gaining access. Use this with caution, keeping in mind that some users have dynamic IP addresses and that hosts can change owners at any time.
- HotLink Proteciton – While you may expect users to access a certain page on your website, you might not want the user directly linking to individual files, especially media. HotLink Protection can prevent them from linking to unauthorized files.
- Leech Protect – For password-protected areas of your site, you may allow a number of users to access it. If those users give out their login credentials to others, this is called leeching. This is especially problematic for paid sites. Leech Protect will limit the number of logins within a specified time and redirect or even suspend compromised accounts.
For more information about any of the above security tools and a complete list of security tools available in cPanel, see the online documentation.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering