Bots Account for 61.5% of All Website Traffic
December 13th, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – According to a study done by Incapsula, 61.5 % of all website traffic is generated by bots, a 21% increase since last year’s report, leaving only 38.5 % of traffic done by humans.
Incapsula observed 1.45 billion bot visits over a 90 day period from 20,000 sites from their network with free and enterprise plans.
Although 31% of bots that visit sites are malicious, the majority are “good” bots, certified agents of legitimate software such as search engines, states the report.
“While the relative percentage of malicious bots remains unchanged, there is a noticeable reduction in Spam Bot activity, which decreased from 2% in 2012 to 0.5% in 2013. The most plausible explanation for this steep decrease is Google’s anti-spam campaign, which includes the recent Penguin 2.0 and 2.1 updates.”
“Emergence of new online services introduces new bot types into the pool,” the report states. “For instance, we see newly established SEO oriented services that crawl a site at a rate of 30-50 daily visits or more.”
Evidence of more sophisticated hacker activity has also shown up from the report. An 8% increase from “other impersonators” suggests the use of unclassified bots with hostile intentions, usually used by hackers.
|Restore Manager cPanel plugin|
* Allow your customers to browse their backups anytime and restore any specific items in real-time.
* Save time spent on restoring customer data from backups.
* Eliminate the need to restore the full account Or download the full backup file just to restore individual files or databases.
* Make smart remote incremental backups
* And much more at just $3 per month...