(The Hosting News) – According to a study done by Incapsula, 61.5 % of all website traffic is generated by bots, a 21% increase since last year’s report, leaving only 38.5 % of traffic done by humans.
Incapsula observed 1.45 billion bot visits over a 90 day period from 20,000 sites from their network with free and enterprise plans.
Although 31% of bots that visit sites are malicious, the majority are “good” bots, certified agents of legitimate software such as search engines, states the report.
“While the relative percentage of malicious bots remains unchanged, there is a noticeable reduction in Spam Bot activity, which decreased from 2% in 2012 to 0.5% in 2013. The most plausible explanation for this steep decrease is Google’s anti-spam campaign, which includes the recent Penguin 2.0 and 2.1 updates.”
“Emergence of new online services introduces new bot types into the pool,” the report states. “For instance, we see newly established SEO oriented services that crawl a site at a rate of 30-50 daily visits or more.”
Evidence of more sophisticated hacker activity has also shown up from the report. An 8% increase from “other impersonators” suggests the use of unclassified bots with hostile intentions, usually used by hackers.
|Black Lotus DDoS mitigation Service|
- 24x7 mitigation with guaranteed SLA
- DDoS mitigation facilities throughout North America and Europe
- 480 Gbps of active DDoS mitigation capacity
- Service delivery via GRE, physical cross connections or virtual Ethernet service
- Protect your servers or entire IP space from attacks
- Giggs Provokes Record Traffic to Website
- Using Alexa to Determine a Website’s Traffic
- Generating Website Traffic with Contests
- IP Traffic will Hit 1.3 Zettabytes Annually in 2016, Cisco Projects
- Windows 8.1 Snags More OS Desktop Traffic Than Mac OS X 10.9