Blog hosting is a topic we cover every month on The Hosting News, and most of the time the topics are related to free blogging software and self-hosted blogging platforms. There is, however, another type of blogging platform that is extremely popular. For lack of a better term, I will refer to it as cloud blogging.
Companies such as Google and WordPress offer easily deployable blogging software that they host on their own servers. While WordPress also gives away its software under a free software license, its cloud blogging system is among the most popular.
The benefits of cloud blogging include:
- a maintenance-free system, including unlimited updates
- free or very inexpensive service
- any of the promotional or social media connections that come with the service (such as Blogger-Google Plus integration)
Blog hosting is a significantly more robust option. Some of the benefits are:
- your own hosted domain plus sub-domains, or even additional domains on some accounts
- other website uses: photo gallery, business portfolio, whatever you want
- any blogging software you want – pick and switch all you want
- full customization of templates or even the source code
- ability to host as many blogs as your disk space and bandwidth will allow
If you have little to no experience with web hosting and want to keep things as simple as possible, cloud blogging is an excellent, worry-free choice. But for complete control and a blog that is truly unique, you need to get a website from a reliable hosting company.