End of Year cPanel Maintenance Tips
December 31st, 2012 By:Tavis J. Hampton
The end of the year is a great time to perform some basic server maintenance with your hosting automation system. As the system administrator, cPanel’s WHM will make it easy for you to complete a few routine tasks that should keep things running efficiently.
1. Remove old unused user accounts – Over time you have probably suspended users who have never returned. If you have unused websites or users on your server, it is a good idea to remove them now before they can become a security risk later.
Home >> Server Status
2. Test backups – Assuming you have been a good system administrator, you have been backing up your server all year long. What you might not have done is test any of those backups. Now is a good time to make sure your backups are actually working.
Home >> Backup
3. Fine Tune Services – The need for certain system services may come and go. With WHM you can enable or disable system services (or daemons) that start at boot and run in the background. Disabling the ones you do not need can reduce unnecessary memory and CPU usage. You can also select the services you want to monitor on the cPanel Service Status screen.
Home >> Service Configuration >> Service Manager
4. Server Status Check – WHM includes a set of tools that can help you keep an eye on your server’s health and performance. These include:
- Apache Status – information about the system’s web server
- Daily Process Log – information about daily CPU and memory consumption
- Server information – mostly containing information about server hardware configuration
- Service Status – a list of services that you are monitoring based on your selections in the aforementioned Service Manager.
Home >> Server Status
Looking forward to the next year, you can now start off with a healthy and high-performing server. cPanel/WHM has many other tools you can use to fine tune your server. For more information see the complete online documentation.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering