There are certainly economic and customer service-related reasons to choose a particular host, but the following are five technical things you should definitely look for when you choose an e-commerce host.
- Affordable SSL certificates – You need to be able to purchase an SSL certificate and implement it on your website with as little hassle as possible.
- E-commerce software – There are a plethora of commercial and free e-commerce web applications out there. A good e-commerce host will offer free installation of the one you want to use.
- Analytics – You are in this to make money. That is the essence of e-commerce. The only effective way to track your progress is to study your site’s traffic. Many web hosts offer internal analytics software as well as integration with third-party analytics.
- Advanced security – Depending on the type of business you are running, you might need a higher level of security than the average site.
- Scalability – As your business grows, your site will grow with it. If the only e-commerce package your host offers is something you will outgrow in a year, you are in for a world of hurt.
As with any business venture, plan well and always make sure to look beyond the price. Do not feel ashamed about asking an IT expert for advice before you proceed. It could save you a great deal of time and money.