For Amazon, It’s a Messy Cloud at Times
December 27th, 2012 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – Amazon’s latest cloud computing problem perhaps arrived at the worst time possible: The day before Christmas. According to a variety of reports, top video streaming service Netflix faced downtime following issues with Amazon’s data center located in northern Virginia.
Customers looking to access Christmas-related content were surely disappointed for some time as they unsuccessfully attempted to access services.
Meanwhile, Netflix reassured customers the problem was being looked into. “We’re sorry for the Christmas Eve outage. Terrible timing! Engineers are working on it now,” stated the company via its Twitter account.
By Christmas day, things were back up and running as Netflix announced streaming levels had returned to normalcy.
Amazon’s problem at the center of the downtime? According to a report from the New York Times, Elastic Load Balancing was to blame. Despite that, not many other details have arrived. A full detailed report could arrive at a later date, though.
The issue is just the latest event in a somewhat murky history of downtime for the popular cloud provider. In October, issues affecting the company’s ElastiCache, RDS and Elastic Computer Cloud led to downtime for several popular websites. Those affected included Pinterest, Quora, Foursquare and Reddit.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering