(The Hosting News) – Imagine not being able to access Google, the internet presence relied upon by a majority of users worldwide. Well, that briefly became a reality for those accessing the web in Ireland, according to a report from Sophos on Tuesday.
So what caused the downtime? The security firm pointed towards a curious change in nameservers maintained by the Irish Domain Registry. Apparently they were incorrectly configured to point to an Indonesian-based website called farahatz.net.
Could the move have simply been a glitch or something of malicious intent?
“Whether this was the result of a malicious hack or an admin screwup is as yet uncertain, but the danger was that if someone bad was responsible for the change they could have potentially taken users to a bogus Google website, and infected them with malware or distributed advertising pop-ups,” commented Sophos in its post appearing on the Naked Security blog.
A variety of online users took to Twitter to express dismay regarding the incident. Meanwhile, an account belonging to Extratime.ie News suggested a workaround for Irish users. “Use http://google.co.uk instead of http://google.com or google.ie if you are in Ireland – the DNS has been hacked it would appear,” read the statement.
Nameservers play a critical role in routing online traffic to proper internet presences. In August of last year, a hack on SSL authority DigiNotar leaked Google-related certificates on the web. Google later worked to update its Chrome web browser to secure the matter.
|FatCow Private-Label Reseller Program allows you to create your own hosting company|
* Generous discounts on competitive Web Hosting plans
* No setup fees on client accounts & 30-day money back guarantee
* Powerful reseller console & customizable client control panel
* User-friendly site creation tool & 24 x 7 technical support
* Branded web-based e-mail & private name servers available
- Curious Case of McAfee: Software Pioneer Arrives in U.S.
- U.S. Pushes China on Change.org Hacks
- DDoS Hacks Hit Change.org Amid WeiWei Petition
- Lindows name change to Linspire now Official
- Search Engine, Google, Updates Google Toolbar with Custom Features