Google Unveils “Smart Contact Lens” To Help Measure Glucose Levels
January 17th, 2014 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) –Google has announced that they are testing a prototype of a contact lens that could help people manage their diabetes.
In a press release published on Thursday, the company stated the prototype is a less invasive method of measuring glucose levels than finger pricking.
The lenses would measure the glucose in tears by using “miniaturized electronic” such as chips and sensors.
“We’re now testing a smart contact lens that’s built to measure glucose levels in tears using a tiny wireless chip and miniaturized glucose sensor that are embedded between two layers of soft contact lens material. We’re testing prototypes that can generate a reading once per second,” stated Google via press release.
Additionally, the company is exploring ways to integrate LED lights into the contact that would light up when the wearers glucose levels have went above or below certain levels.
Currently, Google is looking for partners to help use their technology to develop apps that the wearer and their doctor could use to see the glucose levels on their phones.
“We’ve always said that we’d seek out projects that seem a bit speculative or strange, and at a time when the International Diabetes Federation (PDF) is declaring that the world is “losing the battle” against diabetes, we thought this project was worth a shot.”
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering