(The Hosting News) –Google has announced that they are testing a prototype of a contact lens that could help people manage their diabetes.
In a press release published on Thursday, the company stated the prototype is a less invasive method of measuring glucose levels than finger pricking.
The lenses would measure the glucose in tears by using “miniaturized electronic” such as chips and sensors.
“We’re now testing a smart contact lens that’s built to measure glucose levels in tears using a tiny wireless chip and miniaturized glucose sensor that are embedded between two layers of soft contact lens material. We’re testing prototypes that can generate a reading once per second,” stated Google via press release.
Additionally, the company is exploring ways to integrate LED lights into the contact that would light up when the wearers glucose levels have went above or below certain levels.
Currently, Google is looking for partners to help use their technology to develop apps that the wearer and their doctor could use to see the glucose levels on their phones.
“We’ve always said that we’d seek out projects that seem a bit speculative or strange, and at a time when the International Diabetes Federation (PDF) is declaring that the world is “losing the battle” against diabetes, we thought this project was worth a shot.”
|Virtual Hosting over Cloud Platform in UK|
* Linux & Windows VPS
* Ability to Host Custom Software
* No Restrictions on number of Domains
* 24x7 Free Support & Quick VPS Set-up
* Plans Starting from Only £21/mo
- Novartis and Google To Develop Smart Contact Lens
- Global Spam Levels Continue to Grow During May 2004, Virus Levels Stabilize
- Google Unveils Social Network
- WiredTree Levels Up Managed Hybrid Plans
- Google Unveils Self-Flying Drone Project, Project Wing