Hack Attack Downs South Korean Websites
June 25th, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – A mysterious cyber attack plagued a number of South Korean government websites amid the 63rd anniversary of the Korean war.
The incident was confirmed by the country’s government and although a message appeared to claim Anonymous was responsible, the hacking collective denied any connection to the attack.
“The government can confirm a cyber attack by unidentified hackers that shut down several sites including the Blue House,” stated South Korea’s Science Ministry, according to a report from the BBC.
Some messages included in the cyber attack were said to praise North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
Along with the denial, Anonymous’s involvement was thought highly unlikely. The group had instead planned hacks on North Korean-based websites as part of its “Free Korea” campaign.
Affected websites included the Korean Central News Agency, Naenara and Rodong Sinmun.
North Korea has been thought to carry out previous cyber breaches. Tensions between North and South have been increasingly high since the Korean war ended in 1954. North Korea has also become increasingly isolated from western allies for its use of human rights abuses and its nuclear program.
|Caronet Managed Hosting Services - Engineered for YOUR business|
* Your True Managed Services Provider - Cloud, Colo, Dedicated Solutions
* Multiple Levels of Support to Ensure You Pay for Only What You Need
* Focus More on Revenue Generating Activities and Applications
* Technical Engineers are on call and available for 24 x 7 x 365 Support
* Named to 2015 Managed Service Provider 500 List by CRN