(The Hosting News) – The Fourth of July weekend proved eventful for two hacking groups who successfully compromised services belonging to two large companies.
A Twitter account belonging to Fox News was compromised. @foxnewspolitics was apparently hacked and displayed false news messages, one which falsely announced the U.S. President’s assassination.
The incident is currently being investigated by the U.S. Secret Service and Fox News stated through its site, “FoxNews.com regrets any distress the false tweets may have created.”
Meanwhile, hacking group Anonymous breached a site Apple uses to conduct surveys. The group announced the breach through its Twitter.
With the breach, the group posted a small amount of data related to user names and passwords.
The hacks may be smaller in scope compared to the ones carried out by now defunct hacker group LulzSec, but they represent a continued threat to online security.
LulzSec was responsible for breaching sites belonging to Sony, the CIA, an FBI affiliate, PBS, and more over the last couple months. The group recently announced it was ending its hacking operation and asked its backers to support Anonymous.
The hacking movement has been called “AntiSec.” Both Anonymous and LulzSec have operated under political motives.
|Dedicated Servers | Work with Steadfast Experts|
- Steadfast experts design, implement and support your custom solution
- 100% Uptime SLA, and easy growth options for your business
- 24/7/365 onsite support; 2 hour hardware replacement
- On-demand DNS management, security assessments and antivirus protection
- 50 GB backup space included
- Hackers Breach U.S. Senate Site
- Hackers Hit CIA Site
- Hackers Breach Brazilian Government Sites
- Suspects Charged in Connection with PayPal Breach
- Hackers Breach Web Host Blacknight