Hosting Community to Make Voice Heard Via i2Coalition
September 17th, 2012 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – Top players in the hosting industry are making sure their voices are heard on a number of issues affecting the web’s infrastructure. Companies are joining a group known as the i2Coalation, formed during a year which earlier saw controversial anti-piracy legislation such as the Protect IP Act and the Stop Online Piracy Act threaten how providers currently do business.
“We believe the continued growth of the Internet is vital for growing an environment of innovation in America and seek to engage in ways to foster success of the Internet and Internet infrastructure industry. We seek to influence decision makers to weigh decisions on whether they are good or bad for the Internet economy and its foundational industries,” stated the I2Coalition via its website.
The group also cited its desire to help those in the online community “harness the Internet’s full potential.”
Just how big are the companies taking part in the recently launched venture? Most recently, filtering management company SpamExperts announced its participation and noted its role as a founding member. Other companies include FireHost, Fortress ITX, AiNET, cPanel, Codero Hosting, SoftLayer, Onapp, LuxCloud, Parallels, Rackspace and many more.
The Protect IP Act (PIPA) and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) made headlines in January as top web presences including Google moved to oppose the legislation. The opposition proved useful and the U.S. Congress placed an indefinite hold on the bills which critics worried could stifle innovation and place an unfair burden on providers.
If this all sounds familiar, it’s because it is. ServInt CEO Christian Dawson is an I2Coalition board chair and co-founder. Dawson was previously instrumental in formulating the web community’s opposition to SOPA and PIPA through the previously formed Save Hosting Coalition, an organization he also helped found.
“The i2Coalition will serve as a liaison between its members, the public they serve and policymakers to ensure that the Internet infrastructure industry continues to harness the full potential it has for creating jobs and driving innovation in the United States,” recently commented Dawson in a press release.
And while such legislation may have been placed on the back burner for now, its history isn’t forgotten. The formation of a new coalition shows that the web hosting community is keeping its eye open for the sanctity of the internet’s future.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering