In a previous post, we looked at WordPress plugins and asked how many plugins were too many to have on one blog. Another question that many may ask is: “How important are WordPress plugin updates?”
WordPress is updated frequently enough, but then you have to deal with seemingly constant updates of all of your plugins. So, what happens if you just ignore the plugin updates?
Generally speaking, your WordPress installation should continue to function properly. Nevertheless, there are a number of reasons why you should still keep your plugins update.
- Sometimes, new plugin versions are released to fix serious security flaws, just like many WordPress upgrades.
- If you just upgraded WordPress, you may need to also upgrade your plugin in order for the plugin to continue functioning properly
- The new plugin version may have new and improved features, and you have nothing to lose by updating.
- Updating literally takes seconds.
- You can update all plugins at once with a single click of your mouse button.
- Updating takes less time than it takes to read this article.
- Seriously, why are you still reading this and not updating already?
By now, you should feel guilty for not updating your plugins when it is so incredibly easy. All you have to do is click a few links and all of your plugins will be updated. The same applies to WordPress itself. So, is there really any good reason to not keep everything up-to-date? Keeping your WordPress installation up-to-date is easy to do, and it may very well save your website from serious security issues.