(The Hosting News) – The web plays an “essential” role in peoples’ lives – at least according to a German court which recently ruled in favor of a man who was left internet-less following a problem with his DSL connection.
The verdict was made out of a Federal Court of Justice in Karlsruhe and allows clientele of internet service providers to receive compensation for web problems as in accordance with German law.
“The Internet plays a very important role today and affects the private life of an individual in very decisive ways. Therefore loss of use of the Internet is comparable to the loss of use of a car,” commented a representative for the court, according to news agency Reuters.
The outage didn’t only pertain to the web, it also affected the man’s phone and fax lines – forcing him to use a mobile device in place of a landline. And although he did receive compensation for that part of his package, he never did receive money back for the internet not working, something he sought via legal options.
The service interruption dates back to 2008-2009.
Regarding the internet as “essential” is something that appears to be increasingly common. More and more services whether they pertain to job applications, the ability to pay bills or other things are being integrated with online services.
|DTS-NET In business since 1997|
- 100% Uptime SLA, Consulting & Managed Services
- 30 minute or less Support response and full hardware replacement
- Colocation, VPS, Dedicated Servers
- never pay for bandwidth overages again .
- Essential Features that your Web Hosting Package Must Possess
- StillSecure Delivers HIPAA Essential™ Service
- Why Virtualization is Essential to the Cloud
- Web Host and VoIP Firm, Cbeyond, Blends Mobile, Landline Voicemail Messaging
- Web Host and VoIP Firm, Cbeyond, Upgrades Mobile Service Platform