How Necessary is the Web? It’s “Essential”
January 29th, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – The web plays an “essential” role in peoples’ lives – at least according to a German court which recently ruled in favor of a man who was left internet-less following a problem with his DSL connection.
The verdict was made out of a Federal Court of Justice in Karlsruhe and allows clientele of internet service providers to receive compensation for web problems as in accordance with German law.
“The Internet plays a very important role today and affects the private life of an individual in very decisive ways. Therefore loss of use of the Internet is comparable to the loss of use of a car,” commented a representative for the court, according to news agency Reuters.
The outage didn’t only pertain to the web, it also affected the man’s phone and fax lines – forcing him to use a mobile device in place of a landline. And although he did receive compensation for that part of his package, he never did receive money back for the internet not working, something he sought via legal options.
The service interruption dates back to 2008-2009.
Regarding the internet as “essential” is something that appears to be increasingly common. More and more services whether they pertain to job applications, the ability to pay bills or other things are being integrated with online services.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering