Web statistics can provide valuable information about your website. Far beyond simply displaying the number of hits a site receives, statistics or analytics software can give you insight into the pages on your site that are most successful, the type of visitors you receive, the duration of time spent on your site, the number of unique visitors, the search engine keywords that visitors used to reach your site, and much more.
With cPanel it is fairly easy to access web analytics software. This software, such as AWStats generates statistics in real time using your own site’s server logs for data. This means that data aggregation happens quickly, and you can access your statistics at any time.
To access AWStats from within cPanel:
- Login to cPanel
- Navigate to the “Logs” section
- Click AWStats
- Choose the domain or subdomain you want to view
The first thing you see at the top will be a summary of your statistics for the month. You can use the drop-down menus to choose different months or years. You will also see viewed traffic displayed in five different ways:
- Unique visitors – Anytime a unique host/ip visits your site, it will count as a unique visitor. Assuming each one is used by a different person, this is a fairly accurate account of how many individuals visited the site.
- Number of visits – This counts visits, so the number will be larger. It includes multiple visits from single users.
- Pages – The number of pages accessed on your site is displayed here.
- Hits – This counts everything: pages, images, videos, and more, every time it is accessed.
- Bandwidth – Displayed in MB or GB, this tells how much data has been transferred for the month.
AWStats will give you much more data as you scroll through the page, including top hosts, search terms, countries, file type, visit duration, and top pages.