Hosting automation is all about making it easier for you to use the web, and cPanel’s numerous tools accomplish that goal very well. One of the tools many web users love is the Image Manager. With it you can view, modify, resize, and even covert images right from within the web-based control panel.
To start using Image Manager, login to your cPanel installation and navigate to the “Advanced” section. You should see the “Image Manager” button there. Click on it, and you will be presented with three tools: Thumbnailer, Image Scaler, and Convert an Image Format.
With thumbnailer you can create thumbnails: smaller versions of the images already found on your website. Simply follow these steps:
- Click the “Thumbnailer” link
- Navigate through the list of folders by clicking on the icons (not the links) and find the one containing your images
- When you find the correct folder, click the text link next to the icon
- Choose the scaling percentage and determine if you want to keep the aspect ratio
- Click “Thumbnail Images”
While thumbnailer is designed for small images, image scaler can make your images any size you want. To use the tool, do the following:
- Click “Image Scaler” from within Image Manager
- Click the folder icon that corresponds with the folder you want
- Click the text link of the image you want to scale
- Type in the new dimensions or percentage
- Enter the name of the new file
- Click Scale Image
Convert an Image Format
Using this tool, you can convert images from one format to another (i.e. png to jpg).
- Click “Convert an Image Format”
- Click the folder icon of the image directory
- Click the link of the image you want to convert
- From the dropdown menu, choose the new format
- Click “Convert”
For more information about cPanel’s Image Manager, see the full online documentation.