(The Hosting News) – The Internet Infrastructure Coalition on Wednesday released a new statement regarding Congress’s ongoing consideration of the Cyber Intelligence Sharing Act (CISPA). The group has represented an integral voice for the web hosting community since the derailment of previous legislation including the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA). You can find the statement below:
As the House of Representatives begins its discussion on the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), lawmakers must be mindful of the numerous privacy concerns raised by the bill in its current form. The goal of CISPA is to increase security online and make it easier to identify potential cyber threats, but such reform must be tackled in an open manner that preserves certain civil liberties guaranteed to all Americans.
On Tuesday, the House Rules Committee refused to even consider a number of amendments to the bill that would have gone a long way to alleviate some of these concerns. For example, if the bill focused on de-identified aggregate data, instead of personal information, CISPA could be meaningful legislation. That hasn’t happened, despite all the last minute amendments.
The House Intelligence Committee passed CISPA in a closed door hearing last week. Any discussions on privacy and accessibility must be transparent and include all stakeholders involved in the process to build consensus.
Earlier this week, the White House issued a threat to veto CISPA if it passes the House over privacy concerns. Thousands of groups and individuals have spoken out against this legislation. The i2Coalition urges members of Congress to reject CISPA in its current form. If you share our privacy concerns, contact your Representative today and ask him/her to vote no on CISPA!
The above was posted to the Internet Infrastructure Coalition’s blog at http://i2coalition.com/internet-security-must-protect-privacy-and-freedom/. For additional information contact Brian Walton (BWalton@hcgpublicaffairs.com).
|Managed Hosting with Steadfast Experts|
- Steadfast is "Always There" from design, implementation, and support
- Focus on your core business while Steadfast experts support your environment
- 100% Uptime SLA and easy growth options for expansion
- 24/7/365 onsite support; 2 hour hardware replacement
- On-demand DNS management, security assessments and antivirus protection
- i2Coalition Talks U.S. House CISPA Hearing
- CISPA Passes U.S. House, White House Threatens Veto
- i2Coalition Statement on State of the Union Address
- i2Coalition Statement On Joint Senate Committee Hearing
- i2Coalition Statement on Patent Reform Executive Actions