ICANN Begins New TLD Rollout
October 25th, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – A new era in web domains has begun. On Wednesday, internet authority ICANN, otherwise known as the “Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers,” announced that it had delegated the first new generic TLDs.
The move allows the new gTLDs to arrive via the Internet Root Zone.
“It’s happening – the biggest change to the Internet since its inception,” stated Akram Atallah, ICANN president of the organization’s Generic Domains Division via a press release.
Atallah continued, “In the weeks and months ahead, we will see new domain names coming online from all corners of the world, bringing people, communities and businesses together in ways we never imagined. It’s this type of innovation that will continue to drive our global society.”
As it stands now, the domain name system has 22 gTLDs including the likes of .COM, .NET and .ORG. After ICANN’s historic new TLD initiative, there may be as many as 1,400 new TLDs.
In a process that’s taken a while now, ICANN has maintained that introducing the new TLDs will provide greater innovation and competition on the web.
Meanwhile, ICANN has allowed four initial TLD strings to be delegated by registries including Spring Fields, CORE Association and the International Domain Registry.
You can learn more about the new TLDs by visiting ICANN’s press release here (Icann.org).
|Restore Manager cPanel plugin|
* Allow your customers to browse their backups anytime and restore any specific items in real-time.
* Save time spent on restoring customer data from backups.
* Eliminate the need to restore the full account Or download the full backup file just to restore individual files or databases.
* Make smart remote incremental backups
* And much more at just $3 per month...