ICANN Has a Plan for New TLD Concerns
March 26th, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – New gTLDs being introduced later this year are bringing with them cyber-squatting concerns among some web activists – but internet regulator ICANN has a plan.
According to a BBC report on Tuesday, the organization is launching something called the Trade Mark Clearing House, otherwise known as “TMCH.” The platform will provide companies with the ability to pre-register domains preceding the “sunrise” period.
Cyber squatters often register domains and don’t do anything with them, often demanding unfair amounts of money from entities which have a genuine use for them.
THCH is expected to last for a thirty day period. The platform will also notify companies when someone applies for a domain featuring their likeness.
Via the BBC’s report, project consultant Jonathan Robinson explained the project as such: “So, for example, if someone applies for the suffix Apple, Apple will be able to see what the website is selling – whether it is a local orchard or someone selling fake Apple computers.”
New TLDs expected to hit in the fall include .MUSIC, .NEWS, .ABC, .PIZZA, .SITE, .PAY and hundreds more.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering