(The Hosting News) – Vint Cerf, long considered a pioneer of the internet, on Monday warned against web censorship through his capacity as Internet Evangelist at Google.
The measure comes right before an international gathering in Dubai in which governments are expected to discuss internet regulation and the International Telecommunication Regulations treaty.
“Starting in 1973, when my colleagues and I proposed the technology behind the Internet, we advocated for an open standard to connect computer networks together. This wasn’t merely philosophical; it was also practical,” Cerf states through his blog post.
He continues, “Our protocols were designed to make the networks of the Internet non-proprietary and interoperable. They avoided “lock-in,” and allowed for contributions from many sources. This openness is why the Internet creates so much value today.”
Cerf served at DARPA, serving as a program manger in the Internet’s early conception. He later played an instrumental role in the development of email.
For its part, Google has launched freeandopenweb.com, tracking global support for those standing against what they consider web censorship. The online tech giant also prominently displays a link for the initiative via its search landing page.
To display its concern, the company notes that 42 countries currently provide some form of content filtering and censorship. Google also notes 19 new possibly threatening laws pertaining to the issue have been passed within the previous 2 years.
Just some of the most prominent countries providing online censorship include those in the middle-east and China. Just last week, an internet outage hit Syria and was thought to be initiated by the country’s government.
|Steadfast Colocation, Support | Chicago and New Jersey|
- Three locations: Two in downtown Chicago, one in Edison, New Jersey
- 100% Uptime SLA in Tier II and Tier III data centers
- Multiple carrier options available
- Meets regulatory compliance: SSAE16 and SAS70 audited
- Management Available, allowing more time for your core business
- China Backs Off Internet Censorship in Shanghai Trade Zone
- SSL Proxy List Launched as Anti-censorship Tool
- Web Hosting Pioneer, Superb Internet, Celebrates 10th Anniversary
- SiteGround Launches “Stop Censorship” Campaign
- New Cryptocurrency Razor to Open Distributed Marketplace, Cuts Through the Economic Censorship Debate