Megaupload’s Successor Hits the Web
January 21st, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – Controversial bitTorrent site Megaupload is but a memory – having been shut down by federal authorities early last year. But on Sunday, founder Kim Dotcom celebrated a new achievement, officially launching a successor in the form of “Mega,” a BBC report noted recently.
Aside from file sharing, Mega offers cloud storage. Dotcom, meanwhile, defended the website’s right to exist, comparing it to other services.
“Legally, there’s just nothing there that could be used to shut us down. This site is just as legitimate and has the right to exist as Dropbox, Boxnet and other competitors,” Dotcom remarked, according to the BBC.
Dotcom later noted server capacity for the new website was on “maximum load,” saying it’d already received 250 thousand user registrations.
The Megaupload founder signaled in November that the new website wouldn’t rely on infrastructure from U.S. hosting companies. Carpathia Hosting was a previous provider for Megaupload. Dotcom is also fighting extradition to the U.S. where he’s wanted for online piracy chargers. He currently maintains his home in New Zealand.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering