(The Hosting News) – Mozilla’s newly appointed CEO, Brendan Eich, has resigned after two weeks of his appointment following the controversy surrounding his beliefs about gay marriage.
“I have decided to resign as CEO effective today, and leave Mozilla. Our mission is bigger than any one of us, and under the present circumstances, I cannot be an effective leader. I will be taking time before I decide what to do next,” said Eich in a statement provided by Mozilla.
In 2008, Eich donated $1,000 in support of Proposition 8, a California law that was in favor of banning same-sex marriage, which passed with over 52 percent votes but was later found to be unconstitutional by the courts.
Eich’s contribution was first made public in 2012 but did not spark controversy until Mozilla appointed him as CEO, reports ComputerWorld.
Last week, several Mozilla employees posted via Twitter calling for Eich to resign, stating that his values did not match that of the company.
Additionally, the online dating service, OkCupid, asked members to boycott Firefox by posting on their site, “Mozilla’s new CEO, Brendan Eich, is an opponent of equal rights for gay couples. We would therefore prefer that our users not use Mozilla software to access OkCupid.”
An online petition with over 70,000 signatures circulated the web last week calling for Eich’s resignation.
“What’s next for Mozilla’s leadership is still being discussed. We want to be open about where we are in deciding the future of the organization and will have more information next week,” says a blog post from the company. “However, our mission will always be to make the Web more open so that humanity is stronger, more inclusive and more just: that’s what it means to protect the open Web.”
|CaroNet managed hosting solutions engineered for your business|
* Cloud, dedicated and hybrid hosting / collocation / managed services
* Performance tuned solutions
* 60 Gbps redundant BGP networking in our Tier-3 data centers
* Celebrating 15 years in data center operations
* Uptime guaranteed
- Mozilla Names Chris Beard Interim CEO
- Hosting.Com Sponsors Brendan “The Hybrid” Schaub
- Mozilla Addresses The Leak Of User Information
- Mozilla-Based HTML Editor Challenges Dominance of Microsoft FrontPage
- Cookie Controversy: Google Hands Over $22.5M Fine