(The Hosting News) – On December 29th, 2011, domain registrar Namecheap.com will be spearheading a domain transfer initiative known as Move Your Domain Day, prompted by the recent news of its competitor’s support of the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).
Namecheap has made an official statement on its company blog openly opposing SOPA and will be donating $1 for every domain name transfer made on December 29th to the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
Shari Steele, Executive Director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, stated, “EFF is pleased to support Namecheap’s efforts to bring attention to the proposed SOPA legislation and its consequences for Internet users worldwide. With the funds donated from the MoveYourDomainDay effort, EFF will continue to defend your right to free expression in the digital world.”
One of the primary goals of designating December 29th “Move Your Domain Day” is to heighten awareness of the potential dangers of SOPA, a bill that some say may potentially break the Internet as we know it.
The CEO of Namecheap, Richard Kirkendall said, “A free and open Internet is the only option that will continue the legacy of innovation and openess that stands for everything we all value in our modern society. However, if SOPA passes, the rights of every user on the Internet will be trampled, as the bill as proposed infringes on liberties, privacies, and freedoms without due process.”
On Move Your Domain Day, Namecheap will process transfers of any .COM, .NET, .ORG, .INFO, and .BIZ domain from any registrar for the below-cost price of $6.99. For each transfer made on this day, Namecheap will be donating $1 to EFF.
“We’re proud to have the Electronic Frontier Foundation supporting this important initiative, and are confident that our customers can help us raise a significant sum to help continue the fight against SOPA, PROTECT-IP, and other overbroad and ill-considered legislation,” said Kirkendall.
For more information, please visit: http://www.namecheap.com/
|Caronet Colocation - It´s More Than Power, Space and Connectivity|
* True A + B Power Feeds - Ensuring the Highest Level of Redundancy
* 99.999% Uptime SLA Guarantee
* N + 1 Power and Cooling with UPS plus Backup Generators On-Site
* 24 x 7 x 365 Security - Interior and Exterior Motion Sensitive Video
* Smart Expansion Options Without Large Upfront Capital Expenses
- Namecheap Discusses Domain Transfers
- Namecheap Unveils 2nd MoveYourDomainDay
- Namecheap Supports Internet Freedom with Third Annual MoveYourDomain Day
- Namecheap Announces Bitcoin Acceptance
- Namecheap Openly Opposes SOPA