Redwood City, California – (The Hosting News) – November 7, 2008 – Hosted configuration protocol (DHCP) product provider, Nominum, has made enhancements to its Vantio caching DNS platform, with two new products, and the new Trusted Response and Universal Enforcement architecture.
Tom Tovar, CEO of Nominum remarked, ”The browsing public, policy makers and industry watchdogs are all demanding greater safety and security while using the Internet. With Nominum’s new offerings, service providers are now uniquely positioned to meet the demand for a trusted Internet experience with technically effective and operationally efficient solutions that don’t compromise user privacy or network performance.”
Together, the new products and architecture offer real time protection for all broadband users and devices against a wide range of Internet threats and malicious, illegal and inappropriate content.
Nominum’s TRUE architecture and new products offer the following advantages:
- New revenues through paid subscriber services
- Reduce cost of helpdesk calls from users victimized by Internet threats
- Network-wide protection (all users, devices and applications)
- No impact to users, browsers and applications – No privacy issues unlike intrusive approaches
- Hundred times better price / performance of alternatives
- No network re-architecture and no new hardware – Scales up to a billion malicious Internet destinations
- Supports multiple threat data sources (best-of-breed)
Nominum’s TRUE architecture is an ideal launch point for service providers to maximize user protection without impacting privacy. The following Vantio enhancements and new products are the first in a series to utilize the new TRUE architecture:
- Vantio Base Server is an advanced caching DNS platform that now features a modular design for on-demand addition of new services. Vantio offers the most advanced DNS security, including protection against the Kaminsky cache poisoning attack.
- Vantio MDR (Malicious Domain Redirection) Service Delivery Module is a new add-on software module for the Vantio Base Server with real-time enforcement of threat data and security policies to safe guard Internet interactions. It acts as a self-learning enforcement point in the network and redirects user requests for malicious destinations to a helpful provider-managed notification page.
- Centris Server is a new threat aggregation and provisioning platform capable of tracking up to a billion malicious Internet destinations. It complements the Vantio MDR module by synchronizing with a wide range of threat information feeds in real-time and making the data instantaneously available to MDR enforcement nodes.
Stefano Maifreni, Product Manager for Internet access services at COLT remarked, ”At COLT, we’re working cooperatively with the regulatory agencies in Italy to prevent access to illegal gambling and content on the Internet as a value to the community of users we serve. With Nominum’s new products, we can comply with new requirements quickly without any changes to the network or user behavior. We plan to leverage these products to deliver ongoing security and safety from other threats.”
Dr. Paul Mockapetris, Chairman and Chief Scientist at Nominum and inventor of the DNS noted, ”Nominum addressed DNS security with layered defenses against the Kaminsky and other vulnerabilities, and is now leveraging its secure DNS foundation to enable a safer and trusted Internet experience. Nominum allows service providers to protect users with reputation information that doesn’t invade user privacy and meets or exceeds legal mandates.”
The new products and the TRUE architecture achieve complete coverage of threats to the network and Internet user, and maximize effectiveness across the entire broadband subscriber footprint, including new Internet-aware devices such as mobile phones. They provide real-time protection from all forms of web-based malware, phishing, illegal or inappropriate content, and e-mail spam. Likewise, Nominumâ€™s Vantio provides four layers of protection against all forms of DNS attacks, including the Kaminsky cache poisoning attack, DoS and DDoS, and Birthday attacks.
David Vorhaus, Associate analyst in Yankee Group’s Enabling Technologies Service Provider group commented, ”DNS-based services present a variety of valuable benefits to service providers as well as end-users, encompassing things such as security, revenue generation and customer satisfaction. Additionally, as government agencies and industry watchdogs pressure service providers to ensure security while safeguarding privacy, DNS redirection is an indispensable tool.”
All products are software only, generally available and may be purchased separately. Pricing is configuration dependent.
Nominum’s network naming and addressing solutions power IP networks of all sizes globally, from the largest carrier broadband network to enterprises, universities and government agencies. Nominum’s Domain Name System (DNS) and Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) products lead the industry in security, performance, and reliability. They are the foundation of the always-on broadband Internet, supporting 150 million households connected by more than one hundred carriers in every region – North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Latin America. Large businesses, educational institutions and governmental networks also depend on Nominum to support mission-critical IP services and applications.
For more information, please visit: www.nominum.com.