Allentown, Pennsylvania – (The Hosting News) – April 12, 2006 – Managed hosting company, INetU’s annual client satisfaction survey indicates that it earned a 96% score in exceeding the expectations of clients.
According to the company,
this is the second year that the satisfaction rate has been 96% or higher, in a survey produced by a third-party marketing agency.
Dev Chanchani, President of INetU Managed Hosting commented, ”We are very proud and honored that 96% of our clients said we surpassed their expectations. It is reflective of our commitment to providing the highest quality service in the Managed Hosting category. We are going to do our best to start exceeding the expectations of the other 4%.”
According to the survey, among INetU’s departments, the Tech Support staff earned the highest marks from clients, receiving top grades for their deep technical knowledge and courteousness.
INetU manages Internet servers with security, disaster recovery, and professional services, as well as technical consulting. Some of INetU’s clients include Microsoft, Infosys, Raymond James Financial, the United Nations, DreamWorks SKG, Sure Fit Slipcovers, Harriet Carter Gifts, KidsPeace and Writing.Com.
INetU is located in Allentown, Pennsylvania and has won service awards from every major web hosting portal on the Internet.
To learn more, please visit: http://www.inetu.net.