Herndon, Virginia – (The Hosting News) – February 7, 2006 – Server virtualization and web hosting automation provider, SWsoft, has introduced a new product – Virtuozzo for Linux 3.0. According to the company, the new software allows IT professionals to move virtual servers between physical servers without end-user disruption or the need for costly storage capacity.
This “zero downtime migration” capability is one of several major new features in the latest version of Virtuozzo for Linux – which also adds new template management, streamlined resource management and expanded operating system support to greatly enhance performance and automation.
The company has also introduced Virtuozzo for Windows 3.5.1 – which adds a “physical-to-virtual” tool that enables easy migration from a dedicated physical server to a virtual server, performance increases and updated platform support.
According to Matt Eastwood, Vice President, IDC Enterprise Platform Research, ”SWsoft delivers a unique OS-level server virtualization solution that is ideal for a number of scenarios – including server consolidation, disaster recovery and a number of other real world uses we see IT professionals utilizing virtualization technology to achieve. End-users are looking for zero downtime functionality in their virtualization solutions in order to enable higher value IT projects, once reserved for more scalable servers, which are now being addressed by lower-cost alternatives.”
Both the Linux and Windows versions of Virtuozzo come with extensive management tools that differentiate the products from other virtualization solutions. Significant enhancements to Virtuozzo tools include a new automated workflow tool to help manage end-user requests for additional virtual servers with pre-determined configurations.
Eugene Martinez, Systems Administrator with Realm added, ”Virtuozzo decreases our server provisioning time from 1-2 hours to 3-5 minutes, which allows us to focus our efforts in other areas. We are excited about the potential of the P2V utility which is available in this latest release, and expect Virtuozzo to play a major role in driving down costs and increasing productivity in 2006.”
Serguei Beloussov, CEO of SWsoft added, ”Virtuozzo is the only virtualization technology for commodity Linux and Windows platforms which allows workloads to scale to large SMP, high memory systems without scalability or performance degradation. With these new capabilities, we are bringing the advantages of efficient virtualization technology to an even wider range of organizations by making it even easier to configure and administer highly available virtual servers.”
The latest version of Virtuozzo for Linux 3.0 features improved performance and automation capabilities, including the following features and benefits:
– Zero Downtime Migration, which captures the state of an existing virtual server and its contents and migrates it to a new physical server without any interruption in service or availability. The function executes between any two servers on a network, so the capability works for any server and any application. SWsoft is the first to deliver this capability without additional requirements, such as a storage area network (SAN).
– EZtemplates make it easy for almost instant (generally 20-30 seconds) provisioning of a virtual server, so it is easy to set up and run applications on a virtual server, rather than a full server.
– Streamlined resource management that requires just a few settings to create and manage a virtual server.
– Support for distributions based on the Linux 2.6 kernel including Red Hat Enterprise Server 4.0, Fedora Core 4.0 and CentOS 4.0 and backward compatibility for 2.4 distributions.
This latest version of Virtuozzo for Windows 3.5.1includes the following features and benefits:
– New graphical VZP2V (Physical-to-Virtual) tool for administrators to easily move from a dedicated physical server to a Virtuozzo virtual server. This feature helps determine what resources a server and application require to ensure that the virtual server delivers the same performance.
– Performance increases for accessing memory and handling read/write operations, as well as making it even faster to create and migrate a virtual server.
– Support for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2 and Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 so that the software can be run in a virtual server.
Virtuozzo for Linux 3.0, Virtuozzo for Windows 3.5.1 and Virtuozzo Management Tools are now available worldwide from SWsoft or any of its partners. Pricing for Virtuozzo starts at $1000per CPU with management tools at $1000 per seat for unlimited servers.
To learn more about SWsoft, please visit: www.swsoft.com.