Houston, Texas – (The Hosting News) – April 2, 2008 – Privately held dedicated web hosting company, The Planet, has debuted the launch of Windows Server 2008, to its operating system portfolio of dedicated server operating systems offerings.
The company is now offering four editions of the operating system, available immediately on all servers in The Planet’s broad fleet. The offering includes Windows Server 2008 Web Edition, which is free on single-processor servers.
Windows Server 2008 features enhanced capabilities and powerful tools that build on the strengths of its predecessors. The new operating system delivers enhanced web tools, virtualization technologies and security features that, backed by The Planet’s network and six world-class data centers, provide a secure and scalable hosted IT environment.
Urvish Vashi, Director of Product Management for The Planet noted, ”As more companies move their complex IT infrastructures to hosted environments, they’re looking for the broadest portfolio of offerings to support their strategic business requirements. Windows Server-based solutions are one of the fastest-growing operating system segments in our business, and we expect this growth to accelerate by offering the added security, scalability and unique features that Windows Server 2008 and IIS 7.0 provide.”
John Zanni, Director of Worldwide Hosting at Microsoft Corp. remarked, ”With the addition of Windows Server 2008, we are excited to help The Planet offer its customers an easy-to-manage and reliable platform for the development and hosting of web applications and services. The new capabilities available in Windows Server 2008, the core of the Microsoft hosting platform for service providers, will allow The Planet’s customers to experience significant new features that enhance their IT infrastructure.”
The most robust Windows Server operating system to date, Microsoft’s latest release delivers new functionality and improvements to the base operating system. Designed to meet the most exacting business requirements, Windows Server 2008:
- Provides a solid foundation for business workloads with technologies that simplify server management such as Server Manager, Windows PowerShell and Windows Deployment Services
- Protects servers from failure and unauthorized connections with security features such as Network Access Protection, enhanced Active Directory services, read-only domain controller and BitLocker drive encryption
- Hosts Web applications with Internet Information Services 7.0 (IIS 7.0), a security-enhanced platform that offers greater flexibility and control through a componentized architecture
- Consolidates multiple server roles and runs several operating systems on a single physical machine with built-in virtualization technology.
The Planet will offer Windows Server 2008 in four editions:
- Windows Web Server 2008 enables businesses to rapidly deploy Web pages, sites, applications and services with IIS 7.0, ASP.NET and Microsoft .NET Framework
- Windows Server 2008 Standard features built-in Web and virtualization capabilities and enhanced security features
- Windows Server 2008 Enterprise delivers an enterprise-class platform with consolidated identity management features plus clustering and hot-add processor capabilities
- Windows Server 2008 Unauthenticated Version offers all the Web server power of the Enterprise edition without the ability to run Active Directory and related services.
Ultimately, The Planet endeavors to provide:
- High levels of network capacity and speed to deliver peak performance
- Instant scalability to handle even the largest spikes in network traffic
- Parallel, redundant, multi-tiered network routing and switching architecture to assure reliability and stability
- Multiple layer network security that prevents Delayed Denial of Service (DDOS) attacks from harming businesses
- Knowledgeable experts with a passion for excellence and a commitment to operate the best networks in the business
The Planet is a leading provider of On Demand IT Infrastructure solutions, hosting over 22,000 small and medium size businesses and 6.7 million web sites worldwide, using the best choice of servers, software tools and support, backed by enhanced facilities and network connectivity.
For more information about The Planet, please visit: www.theplanet.com.