Aliso Viejo, California – (The Hosting News) – October 5, 2007 – Utility and grid computing solutions firm, 3Tera, Inc., has upgraded its solutions, to enable large enterprises with the option to leverage utility computing, in-house.
With the AppLogic Grid OS now available for license by enterprise users, grid computing and utility computing services for web applications, are in a position to build on 3Tera’s AppLogic grid computing technology currently used by hosting providers such as British Telecom (BT), to offer utility computing services. Enterprises can leverage AppLogic in their own operations to provide virtual private data centers for individual lines of business or applications. A Virtual Private Data Center has functionally equivalent to a colocation facility, enabling users to define fully custom application infrastructure using just a browser. AppLogic then creates and maintains the infrastructure for the user on the grid. As a result, data center design and operations are greatly simplified. Complex requirements like high availability and disaster recovery become easy and affordable enough to implement for all applications.
Vlad Miloushev, President and CEO at 3Tera noted, ”Many IT organizations are looking to leverage Internet technology to increase the control and scalability of their IT infrastructure. With AppLogic, enterprise users can build their own utility computing services to ease data center design and operations, including business continuity, backup strategies, application design, security, deployment, performance optimization and monitoring.”
Barry X Lynn, Executive Chairman and former CIO of Wells Fargo Bank remarked, ”3Tera’s recent benchmarking results proved that Virtual Private Datacenters are a viable solution for enterprise customers running large scale online applications. As a previous Fortune 500 CIO, I was certainly proud of the IT infrastructure I helped build. While it was the most efficient IT infrastructure in the financial services industry, it would not be able to compete with what we could have created using AppLogic. Enterprises now can build internal utilities, providing IT resources on demand to the different lines of business.”
Robert C. Hamer III, Chairman and CEO of Primitive Logic, a business consulting and technology services firm specializing in helping enterprises to adapt emerging technologies added, ”Large enterprises are constantly searching for scalable, easy to manage IT solutions to support business goals. 3Tera’s AppLogic utility computing solution enables our clients in the financial services and retail sectors, among others, to reduce IT costs while increasing the flexibility of their information systems to support new applications and handle varying levels of demand.”
The AppLogic License is available starting September 1, 2007 for qualified customers operating applications on 50 or more servers. More information is available at www.3tera.com/utility-computing-in-house.html.
Recently, 3Tera added application monitoring and multi-CPU scalability to its AppLogic utility computing platform solution, for SaaS and Web 2.0 applications, to provide greater scalability, improved resource utilization, visibility and control over application performance. According to the company, AppLogic eliminates the need for co-location, private racks and managed services by enabling the assembly, deployment and management of infrastructure and applications using only a browser and basic IT skills.
New Features in AppLogic 2.0 include:
- Application Monitoring provides unprecedented visibility into the operation and performance of customer applications. Every element of the application can be monitored simply by adding counters to a custom dashboard using the new monitoring GUI. Hundreds of variables are available as visual graphs that display the values of selected counters within the appliances.
- Multi-CPU support allows running SMP virtual appliances for processor-intensive software components like databases or JVMs. Each appliance can now have as little as 1% of a CPU and as much as 4 CPUs’ – a 400X range of resource utilization, allowing users to finely tune their application performance.
- Pre-packaged clustered LAMP stack infrastructure helps new users get a quick start. By simply adding the application code they can have a full-featured, scalable online application, complete with monitoring that can be scaled in production from a single CPU to more than 32 without modification.
- GUI enhancements include a web shell for accessing both virtual appliance and grid controller command line interfaces as well as balloon connections for easier infrastructure editing.
- A complete list of new features is available at www.3tera.com/applogic20.html.
3Tera, Inc. provides grid and utility computing solutions designed to simplify the deployment, operation and scaling of online services. The company’s AppLogic grid operating system was developed to allow web hosting providers to offer true utility computing that enables anyone with a browser and basic IT skills to operate dozens of servers, and hundreds of online applications, without owning and operating hardware infrastructure. 3Tera is a privately-held company headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California with R and D facilities in Silicon Valley, Israel and Eastern Europe.
For more information about 3Tera, please visit: www.3tera.com.