Parallels 2013: Steen Discusses Next Gen Cloud
February 5th, 2013 By:THN News
(The Hosting News) – Parallels 2013’s second day began on Tuesday with company CEO Birger Steen discussing the next generation of cloud services.
Steen compared the event to a “family gathering,” thanking attendees that the company saw during the course of the year and perhaps as little as just once a year.
High profile sponsors at the event include IBM, Microsoft, Symantec, Cisco, Dell, SoftLayer, LuxCloud and others.
The CEO rolled out some intriguing stats including the fact that $100 trillion is spent from SMBs on IT and telecom services. Steen emphasized that $100 million goes from moving on premises IT to cloud IT.
Cloud actually outgrew company predictions, totaling in at $45 billion for cloud IT in 2012. That’s up $34 billion compared to the previous year 2011.
Outlined during the keynote were examples of SMBs setting up websites. Steen highlighted Tim Parson of Adoboloco, a hot sauce bottling company which ships worldwide. It’s an e-commerce solution that needed a presence via iPad. Using hosting from Media Temple, the company was able to get what Steen described as a “great website” up and running
Other stats made available by Steen included:
-50% of U.S.-based SMBs would have mobile websites available by 2016
-90% of SMBs would buy bundled services.
-Web apps growing 3x faster than web hosting in mature market
-Data creation grew by 48% in 2012 to 2.7 Zettabytes. Parallels said it would grow to 8.0 by 2015
Fast growth for Plesk Panel – Steen noted Plesk Panel 11 received the fastest adoption out of previous offerings in the company’s history.
New Parallels Offerings
New Cloud Acceleration Services are in the mix. Steen noted the company makes it easier for service providers to grow and profit from the SMB Cloud.
Parallels Cloud Storage: ServInt Chief Operating Officer Christian Dawson joined Steen onstage to discuss the new solution. Dawson noted it was an “easy evolution” from Paralle’s virtualization. Users can also manage product lifecycles, maximize capital efficiency and more. The offering also provides different storage for different workloads.
APS 2.0: The company noted the new version includes pluggable secure sign on along with a dynamic user interface featuring a customized look and feel. Also in the mix is app to app awareness and resource sharing across all APS Services.
Parallels Automation 5.5: The new offering features APS 2.0 built-in with full integration. Also included are over 50 UI improvements for services providers. Support is available for Parallels Cloud Storage along with offerings from Microsoft such as Microsoft Exchange 2013 and Microsoft Lync 2013. The company has worked to update Windows shared hosting with other offerings. Parallels 2013 is set to conclude Wednesday in Las Vegas, Nevada.
|Corero Network Security|
* Real-time DDoS protection for you and your customers
* Purpose built DDoS protection appliance deployed at the Internet edge
* On-premises technology is designed to handle volumetric network-based DDoS attacks or floods, reflective and amplified spoof attacks, like DNS and NTP attacks, as well as application layer attacks - such as slow loris, slow read etc
* Unique, slim-line appliance family delivers 10 Gbps full-duplex performance in a 1/4 wide, 1 RU form factor, enabling Hosting providers to deploy a combination of SmartWall TDS appliances to deliver the performance, connectivity and security required
* Providers are now enabled to offer creative new offerings, such as DDoS and cyber threat protection, enhanced security SLAs as well as visibility and reporting through an analytics portal that can be leveraged as a premium service offering