(The Hosting News) – Serotek Corporation, the leading provider of accessible multi platform and cloud-based solutions accessible from anywhere, is proud to announce the release of DocuScan Plus™. This innovative software requires no drivers and allows anyone to scan and read documents in an accessible format from any computer. Serotek will be demonstrating DocuScan Plus at the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas, Nevada, January 6 – 9.
DocuScan Plus offers high-quality optical character recognition (OCR), to convert the printed page to text. This self-voicing application can read both printed pages from a Twain-compliant scanner, as well as many types of PDF files, including those containing text or those containing only images. It also supports scanners with duplex and automatic document feeder (ADF) capabilities.
The software converts scanned documents to MP3 audio files for playback on many portable devices, and can even convert scanned materials into the popular DAISY format.
For low vision users, DocuScan Plus allows full screen magnification for the reading of scanned text. This magnification option, when combined with the self-voicing features of DocuScan Plus, allows documents to be comfortably read from the screen as well as via text-to-speech. Materials can also be saved in large print format so documents can be scanned, printed, and shared with friends or viewed offline under a Video magnifier.
“With this software, Serotek has created an affordable application that takes into account the way people access the printed word in the 21st century,” said Mike Calvo, CEO, Serotek Corporation, “People don’t spend all their time on one computer, or even one device anymore, so why use software based on that model? DocuScan Plus has a feature set that is useful to everyone, including people who are dyslexic, blind, have low vision or limited mobility, and is just as easy to use from the classroom computer as it is from home; that opens a lot of doors that have been closed until now.”
The DocuScan Plus software can be used as an installed program from your personal computer, or it can be accessed from any computer by visiting http://www.DocuScanPlus.com. The program may be purchased for less than one third the cost of previous scanning solutions.
Other features included are:
- Save to Kindle™: Wirelessly Transfer scanned documents to the Amazon Kindle for reading on the go using the Kindle’s built in text-to-speech function.
- Braille Conversion: DocuScan Plus contains Braille translation options, allowing you to convert your scanned pages and PDF files into a variety of different Braille formats based on the translation table of your choice.
- Export Scanned Text: Save documents and materials to a computer or portable DAISY player for offline reading.
- Encrypted Online Storage: Save documents securely to the cloud and retrieve them from anywhere.
- Additional Synthesizer Support: Choose from a variety of synthesizers for use with this self-voicing application.
- Additional Support for Mobile Platforms: DocuScan Plus will support some external camera and mobile phone platforms. This functionality comes free with DocuScan Plus and it is currently scheduled for release in the first quarter of 2011.
DocuScan Plus may be used independently of any other Serotek software. The application can allow persons to read the printed page with any Windows-based computer, regardless of whether any access technology has been installed or is currently running.
For more information, visit booth number 35955 on the second floor of the south hall at CES 2011, or contact Serotek Corporation at (612) 246-4818, sales(at)serotek(dot)com or visit http://www.docuscanplus.com.
Serotek Corporation is a leading technology company that develops software and manufactures accessibility solutions under the System Access brand. Committed to the mission of providing accessibility anywhere, Serotek began with the launch of the first online community specifically designed to meet the needs of people with visual impairment. Since then, Serotek has introduced several powerful, affordable solutions that require minimal training and investment. For more information, visit http://www.serotek.com.