(The Hosting News) – Using a virtual private server (VPS) for web hosting is growing in popularity among businesses and other entities that need to run websites. Before VPS, businesses hosted their websites using a dedicated server, a piece of hardware that provided all the resources the business needed, including storage and access to programs, files, and data. This hosting model was expensive to establish (or replace) and costly to maintain and upgrade as the business grew.
As alternative to dedicated servers, VPS emerged as a lower-cost, lower-maintenance alternative to dedicated servers. Instead of buying an entire server, a company could pay for part of a server, and that portioned section is completely dedicated to their needs and doesn’t offer access to other companies on the same server. VPS provides businesses with several advantages:
- Price. Since the company is only paying for part of a server, the costs are significantly lower. In addition to not purchasing the hardware, the company isn’t paying annual software contract or maintenance fees.
- Access. The VPS is available from anywhere using an Internet connection.
- Scalability. As businesses increase or decrease their usage, they can simply increase or reduce their VPS as those needs change.
- Customization. VPS clients can quickly make changes and adapt to the needs of their customers.
- Maintenance. The company isn’t responsible for maintaining or upgrading the physical server – the hosting service is. In fact, businesses typically have access to new technologies and updates much more quickly than they could manage on their own.
While some businesses may be reluctant to store their data with a third party, the heavy security features available for VPS mean your data is safe, and your hosting service will work with you to protect your information. In fact, one of the most effective ways your hosting service can help you administer and protect your data is by using a control panel interface called cPanel.
cPanel helps manage your hosting account
cPanel is one of the most popular and highly regarded software control panels that businesses use to manage their VPS. cPanel provides administrators and end users with greater functionality and streamlines administration. cPanel offers reliability and security, and make it easy to manage a hosted account. Some of the benefits cPanel offers include:
- Strong support and reliability. cPanel is one of the most widely used and popular web hosting interfaces, is well supported, and provides a full range of features like security, web analytics, database administration, and much more. cPanel developers release frequent updates, often daily, proving their commitment to improving both their product and the user experience.
- An easy-to-use and intuitive graphical interface. cPanel is extremely easy to navigate using an icon-based menu and offers easy access to features and functions. The software is easy to “skin” and there are many options for interface designs.
- Extensive array of supported operating systems. cPanel offers support for many of the most popular web server operating systems, such as RedHat, Debian, and Trustix.
- Easy incorporation of third-party applications. Third-party programs like Fantastico or Installatron, Web application auto-installers, can be easily incorporated into cPanel.
In addition to the benefits cPanel provides, it offers a number of features that make administering a VPS hosting site easy and efficient. Features found in cPanel include:
- Security management. cPanel provides the latest security technologies, allowing site administrators to lock down the VPS and configure different security settings, establish passwords for directories, and control access to your content and online resources.
- Script configuration and installation. With cPanel, users can easily configure and install scripts and other site functionality. Blogs, guestbooks, and other modules can be quickly added to a website.
- E-mail administration. cPanel allows users to easily create and administer e-mail accounts. Managers can filter, forward, and block e-mails, along with many other e-mail functions, like automatic responses, default addresses, and mailing lists.
- Database management. Databases are critical for content management systems (CMS), online shopping, and many other e-commerce applications. cPanel offers step-by step instructions to create databases in MySQL® and helps configure and administer databases.
- Domain management. With cPanel, site administrators can create subdomains and domain redirects.
- File management. The Files feature in cPanel lets users backup files, upload and edit Web pages, manage disk space, and create and administer file transfer protocol (FTP) accounts.
- Web analytics. To judge a site’s effectiveness and return on investment, managers need to know who visited it. cPanel’s logs show information about the last 300 site visitors, monitor bandwidth, and analyze site statistics.
Ideal for both new and experienced users
Most importantly, cPanel allows users without extensive and detailed technical knowledge oversee, update, and maintain websites. A VPS with cPanel provides a single control panel that allows both beginner and experienced website administrators to build and manage extensive and multi-functional websites. Businesses can securely manage their web hosting and cloud computing needs, easily backup and protect their files and data, and simplify their website administration.
For almost 20 years, Atlantic.net has strategically evolved into a market-leading VPS Cloud Hosting provider. Specializing in VPS cloud servers, colocation, dedicated servers and virtualization hosting services, we are dedicated to implementing tailored hosting solutions that enable you to enjoy the benefits of cost savings. To learn more about Atalntic.net, visit us online at www.atlantic.net