(The Hosting News) – Windows 8.1 is currently the fifth most popular OS desktop, coming in right behind Windows Vista, according to a report from CNet.
CNet reported that Net Applications recorded Microsoft’s newest version, Windows 8.1, as 2.64 percent of all OS desktop traffic in November. This is up .92 percent from last month.
The rise in desktop traffic pushed the software just ahead of Mac OS X 10.9 which holds 2.42 percent share.
Even with its new version available, Windows 8 still continued to get its share of desktop traffic. According to CNet, “Windows 8 and 8.1 took home a 9.3 percent share, easily outscoring Vista but still playing a distant third to Windows 7 with 46.6 percent and Windows XP with 31.2 percent.”
The upgraded version is available to Windows 8 users for free and has added a number of changes such as the return of the start button, search that ties into SkyDrive storage, and app updates, along with many other features.
In June, Windows 8.1 was launched as a preview edition before its official release in October.
- Parallels Announces Availability of Desktop 5 for Mac
- Yahoo launches desktop search product
- Microsoft Said To Unveil Its Windows 9 Operating System At The Build Conference In April
- FuseMail v2.0 Bridges Gap between Web and Desktop e-Mail
- MSN Answers Google’s Desktop Search with New Toolbar Suite