(The Hosting News) – The Zenoss Core project., a leading open source IT monitoring and management solution, officially stated the general availability of Zenoss Core version 2.5.1 under the GNU General Public License (V2) is now available as a free and open source solution for the Microsoft Windows operating system. This latest release of the open source monitoring and systems management project enables users to run applications compiled for Linux under Windows with a native look and feel using the beta version of the LINA run-time environment developed by Lina Software.
Zenoss Core users can deploy Zenoss as an application in Microsoft Windows using LINA, a lightweight runtime environment that enables developers to write and compile code using free Open Source Linux tools. Zenoss and LINA are currently looking for people to download, test and use the LINA installer for Zenoss so that it can continue to be optimized for Windows monitoring. The Zenoss Core for Windows installer can be downloaded from the LINA website at: http://openlina.com/popups/popup-user-apps.html
This installer works on any operating system where the LINA run-time environment has been installed. The run-time environment may be downloaded at: http://openlina.com/popups/popup-lina.html
Monitoring Microsoft Windows with Zenoss
Beyond installing on Microsoft Windows, Zenoss Core is well-suited to monitor Microsoft operating systems and applications. The following community-developed plug-ins (referred to as ZenPacks) have been developed to provide deep monitoring of Microsoft technologies.
* Windows SNMP Monitors – This ZenPack allows you to monitor performance data (CPU and Memory) of Windows hosts running the standard SNMP Service with no additional software installed on the guest operating systems – Developed by Ryan Matte
* Microsoft SQL ODBC Database Monitor – ODBC monitoring of Microsoft SQL databases – Developed by Egor Puzanov
* Windows Exchange Monitoring – Provides graphs for the Exchange User Statistics, Exchange SNMP Queues, Exchange Mailbox Queues, Exchange Public Queues, RPC Averaged Latency, Address List Queue, Email Delivery Rate and Email Delivery Time once it is bound and monitoring – Developed by Johan Keskitalo and Andreas Falk
* Windows IIS Performance Monitoring – This WMI-based ZenPack creates a new performance template for monitoring IIS6 performance via a WMI Data Source – Developed by Egor Puzanov
* Microsoft Virtual Server Monitoring -This ZenPack is for monitoring a Virtual Machine and a Virtual Network within Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1 – Developed by Trevor Seward
* Microsoft Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) SQL Server Monitoring – This WMI-based ZenPacks provides a WMIPerfMSSQL template for monitoring Microsoft SQL Server – Developed by Richard Esteve